We are often asked what curriculum we use. At Headwaters Christian School, we continually re-evaluate the curriculum we use for each grade level. Instead of simply choosing an all-encompassing boxed curriculum, we have selected the best from each source available. Some curriculums we have used and/or are using are:
• Spalding Method/Writing Road to Reading: a proven method of teaching phonics and used as a comprehensive language arts program.
• Horizon Math by Alpha Omega: effectively utilizing the Spiral Method by revisiting previously learned skills.
• Language Arts Through Literature: using good literature to teach language skills.
• McGuffey Readers: These readers are fun, moral, rich in vocabulary, and were widely used as textbooks in American schools from the mid-19th century to the mid-20th century.
• Rod and Staff: good for reading and grammar for grades four through six.
• A Beka: for standardized testing and for some readers.
• Apologia Science: a good base science curriculum to supplement our hands-on nature study and observation.